Sunday, March 21, 2010

ISKD and Peachtree Road Race

I have been involved in healthcare my entire life. As an adult, I've worked for hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and now operate my own healthcare consulting firm, Primoro, Inc.

Many of you may not know of my association with healthcare as a child and as recently as four years ago. At the age of about three, I contracted a bone infection that most of my doctors believed damaged the growth plates on my left leg bones. During puberty as my right leg grew, my left side simply lagged behind. By the age of twenty my left leg was 2+ inches short as compared to the right. After wearing a two inch orthotic lift on my left shoe for 38 years, I decided to undergo a limb lengthening procedure with a fairly new orthopedic device called an intramedullary skeletal kinetic distractor, ISKD for short. Dr. Robert Bruce of Emory Orthopedics performed my surgery in January 2006. The surgery was successful and what a change the surgery had on my life.

Today I am pleased to tell you that I am registered to do this year's Peachtree Road Race on July 4th. In fact, after learning about my story, the AJC elected to do an article that appears in today's paper. Frankly, I never thought I would ever be written up in the sports section!

The point of this story is to highlight the accomplishments of this country's our healthcare system, the providers, the research companies. It is blessing that the spirit that exists in our United States allow for such advancements that does so much for those in need. I am an example of the ingenuity of the system our republic provides. For those of you who I know, and those of you I don't, Thank You!



Photobucket

1 comment:

John, Charlotte, NC said...

I loved the article. Good luck in the race.