Monday, March 15, 2010

Customer Relationship Management

Recently, I've been working with a pharmaceutical company in development of some consultative tools their sales team can use with customers. One topic the company asks I comment on is customer relationship management (CRM). CRM is broadly defined as strategies designed to manage a company's interaction with customers and prospective customers. Typically these strategies involve the use of computer software organize and automate the various business functions such as sales activities, marketing of products, customer service and other support.

CRM in itself is very interesting to me as most organizations view the CRM strategy from a company centered point of view. That is to say, a company will use these strategies only to the extent the system is beneficial to the company. For me, that seems backward.

As I have written many times, I have never seen a case where excellence in customer service was bad for business. Likewise, I've never seen any computer software deliver excellence in customer service. Excellence in customer service is always delivered by PEOPLE!

Now I do not discount the value of technology helping house customer data, making it easily accessible to those who need and the ability to mine data to help a company understand their customer better. But in the end, your business cannot depend on computer systems to deliver the service your customers expect. In today's technology driven business world, too few companies really train their people in customer service.

I am reminded of the customer service story I found as part of my research. A well dressed lady visited the local Nordstrom's shoe department. She jokingly asked saleslady, "I bet you won't sell me one shoe. As you can see I have only one leg." Well the lady lost the bet. This story exists because of Nordstrom's commitment to developing a customer oriented customer service policy. It should be no surprise that Nordstrom continues to be very successful clothing retailer.

Using technology to help you gather and maintain customer information, but remember to invest in the people who interact with your business's customer.


Photobucket

No comments: