Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Tale of Two Businesses

Last week, two business demonstrated the best and the worst in customer service.

In the first experience, I was leaving a client's office and managed to get about 200 yards down the road before the fan belt on my car went...somewhere. Realizing I had lost the air conditioning and power steering, I made my way to the closest auto repair shop. The mechanic diagnosed the problem as actually being a broken serpentine belt idler pulley. In any case, I was stuck. I was advised that it would only take about 1 hour repair, but they had to order the parts. By now, I am not only counting how much this is going to cost, but also how I was going to reschedule the afternoon's appointments and potential loss of business. Much to my surprise and delight, the repair to my car was completed in a mere 35 minutes.

The second experience was a visit to a physician's office. In this case, I had never met this doctor, but was hoping to simply introduce myself and my services. What occurred next is almost inexplicable to me. The office manager greeted me with such a curt tone it verged on being rude. Now, I have been in sales for many years and can accept rejection, but this was beyond anything I have ever experienced. But, it got me to thinking. Perhaps the person was simply having a bad day; but is that an excuse? I suggest not. Businesses, including medical practices, need to know that your staff IS the public face of your business or practice.

So the question is this, "Which business are you more likely to recommend to friends and family?" The business that under promises and over delivers (the auto shop), or, the practice where the staff demonstrate near-rude behavior?

Now you are thinking, well, in the first case you were a customer spending money. In the second case, you were a vendor selling something. That is true, but does it really matter? Again, I suggest it does not. In the first experience, as a customer, I will recommend that auto repair shop. In the second experience, as the vendor, I will not. Clearly, had the auto repair shop done a poor job that took too long and was too expensive, how could I recommend them to a friend? Likewise, though a vendor, how could you recommend the medical practice?

We all need to remember, that most of us live and work in our communities. Our businesses are forever linked to the people, customers or vendors, which visit our offices. It is important to treat everyone as a potential customer, or, can provide the referral for future customers.

Photobucket

No comments: